Saturday, October 01, 2005

Why I Love Birthday Week

It won't be my birthday until Thursday, but I'm within striking distance, so I figure the celebrations can begin early. Last night, DH and I kick off the fun with a couple of good friends at the best Italian restaurant in Central Florida, Enzo's on the Lake. Steve, the Italian, had never been there. I think he's a convert. I had the Bucatini alla Enzo while the rest of the table dined on rack of lamb, spicy risotto with scallops, and a faboo mixed grill on lemon risotto. Then we had dessert, an orgasmic experience that totally lived up to the yelp of pleasure I uttered (and Melanie teased me about) over her chocolate soufflé. Creme brulée for me. Love love love the satisfying crack of caramelized sugar. Whoof.

Today, I bought my new face. I usually spring for new makeup for my birthday, and usually I buy everything from the same line. This time, I spread the wealth. Foundation and concealer from one line, mascara and lipstick from another, blush from a third, shadow from another. Hey, sometimes you gotta break out of the matching-packaging straitjacket, right? We'll see how I turn out tomorrow.

My birthday's on a school day, which is always fun for a round of "Guess how old I am" with my students. They still guess young, which is a good thing. Amazing how seniors can turn your hair grey and keep you young at the same time. Between now and Thursday I can count on cards, calls, emails, and surprises from my kids and DH. Birthdays are a kick. Wonder why so many women my age freak out about them?

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009