Saturday, October 22, 2005

HGTV and Me

I love HGTV, I really do, but I realized something tonight while watching Design Remix. Nearly every show they do features modern design, unless you're talking This Old House. Now I love the clean, modern look as much as the next person (basically because it represents everything that isn't in my own house), but what I want to know is where are all the cool shows telling you how to decorate your traditional interior without spending huge dollars?

Here's what I mean. I inherited some very nice furniture from both sets of grandparents (may they rest in peace). Very nice traditional furniture. As in mahogany dining room, carved Victorian walnut writing desk traditional furniture. These pieces do not blend well with Marimekko color schemes and Michael Graves teakettles. They want Williamsburg brass chandeliers and Karastan rugs. I managed the chandelier thanks to my eagle-eyed mom in an antiques warehouse, but let's face it--on two teacher salaries, I'll have to hit the lottery or inherit something to nab a Karastan. Two Karastans, actually, since both my living and dining rooms will need one once we finish installing the parquet.

Parquet floors--that's another thing that doesn't fly well in laminate-obsessed HGTV-land, but they're perfect for my camelback sofa and wing chairs. See what I mean? Where's the Design Remix for my house?

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009