Tuesday, August 09, 2005

One Down, 179 to Go

First day of school today. Took the traditional first day picture of my gorgeous kids in their first day outfits, packed them in the car at the ungodly hour of 6:30 am, trundled them (and dumped them) to the elementary school, then hightailed it to my school for the 7:20 bell.

Bad news--the air's not working. I cannot stress enough the vital importance of air conditioning at a Florida school in August. Hey, if I'd wanted a facial, I'd have made an appointment. My makeup was history by the end of second period. You should have heard the sigh when I got in the car and its A/C was working. Ran the sucker full blast all the way home.

Good news--lots of kids showed up. First day attendance was much better than last year's. Admin's taking a hard line on kids who have hardly any GPA and fewer credits--no matter how bad they want to graduate with our school's name on their diploma or certificate of completion (hey, don't pass FCAT in Florida, don't even think about a diploma), they won't be doing it with us. Especially if they're, say, 19 or 20. Good for admin!

Kids were nice. The usual first day "deer in the headlights" look, of course. I talked and talked and talked and talked. I usually run my mouth a lot during the first week. After that, things calm down and we can have a normal class.

Get home, kids had a good day. I have a splitting headache. My feet hurt. My head hurts. I get the kids in the bed at 9:30 and crash myself. I am so lame.

Then the dog wakes me up at 3:24 am, but that's another story...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Then there's day 2 when we have to go over the handbook. "Yes, boys and girls, if you bring drugs to school, you may be suspended." (And prosecuted, hello!) :)

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009