Friday, March 17, 2006

The Bed List/The Dinner List

BED LIST: DAVID STRATHAIRN



There. I've said it. I know he's older, and I don't care. He's interesting. He has a face you can study. He's smarter than hell (who else could pull off Edward R. Murrow and make it convincing? And get an Oscar nod, hello?). My David Strathairn "thing" probably kicked off more than a decade ago when I was watching The Firm. He played the hero's brother. Tom Cruise played the hero. Tom did his usual scenery-chewing, running, and teeth-flashing, and David stole the show as the convict brother, Ray. I decided then if I could choose between the two, I'd pick Dave. Still would. Tom will forever be a boy dancing to Bob Seger in his underwear. David is a man. All man. And if I were fabulously lucky, all mine. For a million reasons, not the least of which is his sly portrayal of Whistler in Sneakers, an all-time favorite, David Strathairn gets the invite.

DINNER LIST: DANNY GLOVER



Another smart guy (as usual), and someone who's willing to tackle nearly anything. Danny Glover can do funny, serious, and downright furious. Plus, he's willing to speak out. It takes some serious cojones to take on NYC cabdrivers, but he's done it. He's an actor and activist, and that always makes for great dinner conversation.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009