Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rejection

Got the first rejection email on Crash Test today. This is one of those events you expect to have happen but don't really believe once it does. Realistically, it's going to get rejected despite having a fabulous premise (of course I think so, but so do some other folks I trust who aren't my mom or my sister) and a fabulous agent. In the Total Fantasy realm, I'm signing a huge contract and shopping for Christmas in the Neiman Marcus specialty catalog. Not happening. Instead, I've got the no-date-for-the-prom feeling, but in this case, I've already blown the cash for the dress and hairdo. Twice (the full of Crash Test has been revised to agent specs already).

Here's how the editor kiss of death sounds: "I love the concept here, which is very original and exciting. Unfortunately, I just didn't love the execution or connect with the humor in a way that would make me its editorial champion." Okay, I'm liking the "original and exciting" bit very much. Not too crazy about the "didn't love the execution" (it's brilliant, of course!) "or connect with the humor" (argh!!) bits.

Putting on my Pollyanna hat, I have to be glad that this editor didn't say okay. If you can't be my editorial champion, then I'm better off somewhere else. Where else is the key. When else would be even more key. Soon would be good.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009