Thursday, March 03, 2005

Take that, IRS!

I hold in my hands (well, I was--had to put it down to start typing) one of the few documents that will convince the IRS that yes, I am a writer in serious pursuit of a writing career and not a dilettante who happens to own a computer and an overactive imagination (my shortcomings regarding the fine art of keeping a journal notwithstanding). Yes, gentle readers, I have an Agency Agreement.

I'm still basking in the glow of the cover letter, which tells me that Dream Agent and Company (hereinafter referred to as "D.A.&Co.") wish to "express our enthusiasm" about Crash Test and about "working with you toward building a mutually successful partnership." I know this is a boilerplate letter that's sent out to all of the new chicks, but I'm loving that my name and my book are in the mail merge fields.

Now I can officially call Crash Test "the Work" (that's with a capital W, thank you) and myself "the Author" (capital A, thank you again) of "the Work." At least for the time being. Considering that D.A.&Co. "want to help [me] sell [my] book and build a successful writing career," "the Author" had better get the synopsis written for "the Next Work," or Dream Agent will be quite put out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the agent, ML! Of course now you have me deadly curious as to who the agent is...

Cindy

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009