Sunday, March 13, 2005

Bed Full O'Babies

Last night, the whole family gets home from a party and it's clear that this will be a "togetherness" kind of evening. We're all in pajamas, laughing, having a tickle fight (Is there any sound more wonderful than little kids' laughter?), when the next thing you know, we're all piled into the bed. Mind you, we have a queen. A queen that's not even in a bed frame since it'll be ten days before the drywall man comes to repair the huge (15x6) hole in my bedroom ceiling the roofers had to tear out to rebuild all the trusses. A queen that squeezed in my 6' husband, 5'2" me, two kids (7 and 5) and three stuffed animals (two bears and a dog).

You know how it is being in that kind of mom situation, right? Exactly. I ended up with about 6" of mattress and a handkerchief-sized section of the blankets. Good thing I sleep on my side.

One of these days, the kids will be too big or too cool to pile in at bedtime, so I'll have plenty of mattress and covers. That'll be nice. Not as nice as a bed full o'babies, though.

If I'm lucky, they'll still pile on top when they're teenagers, even if they do slouch and scowl their way down the hall to go to sleep.

2 comments:

thewriterslife said...

Mimi, I cracked up over this. Reminds me of the time my boyfriend and I had to sleep in a twin bed for a month or two before we got our king-sized bed. Now you would think that wouldn't be bad, only picture two adults and three dogs on the bed, too. So I'm kinda thinking I know what you went through. ;o)

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

I love snuggling in my bed with the kids, or being squished in between two or three at nighttime in a makeshift sandwich. We'll be sad when those days are over! Sounds like you had a fun family night! Squashed and all!

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009