Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ten Movies That Disappointed You

Ooo--tough one here. I tend to willingly suspend disbelief, so I can go for just about anything, movie-wise. I may have to drag DH into this discussion...
  1. The Remains of the Day - I'm all for repressed feelings and swooning and all, but I was ready to clock Anthony Hopkins upside the head with a salver at the end of this one. Just tell her you love her already!
  2. Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Lots and lots of pod racing, and not enough explanation. Just what the heck are metaclorians, anyway? Better backstory, maybe? Stiff, stiff, stiff acting. Blah.
  3. X-Files: Fight the Future - Not even as good as one of the episodes, unfortch.
  4. The Age of Innocence - I love me some costume dramas, but even Daniel Day-Lewis couldn't save this one. I fell asleep.
  5. Pulp Fiction - I so wanted to be hip like everyone else swooning over Quentin Tarantino. But QT reminds me a little of a weird cousin of mine, and once they did the syringe of adrenaline to the heart bit, I was outta there. Haven't looked back, either.
  6. American Beauty - I adore the score (Thomas Newman), but can't really work up much of a sweat over any of the characters. It has its moments--Annette Bening's lovemaking screech being a laugh out loud example--but it's just so...overrated. Kind of like red roses.
  7. The Shining - Scatman Crothers was perfect as Halloran, Jack maybe so as John, our crazed writer, but what pissed me off was the freakin' hedge maze. The creepiest thing about that hotel was the possessed topiary! This one could have waited for CGI. And speaking of a need for CGI...
  8. Fahrenheit 451 - One of my favorite books of all time, so naturally, I loathe this movie. LOATHE it. Bradbury imagines flamethrowers and salamanders, but we get a bunch of stiff European actors in bad costumes burning books on hibachis? No, thanks. I hear Frank Darabont's working on a script for a remake. Please, God. That Mechanical Hound has been waiting 60+ years to be unleashed.
  9. Sullivan's Travels - I know, I know, it's a definitive classic comedy I should appreciate better. I started the thing up three separate times and managed to get distracted each time by something pointless and stupid. Finally gave up and put it back in the Netflix envelope.
  10. Lost in Translation - I don't get Scarlett Johansson. Sue me.

4 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

Let's add "The Crying Game."
Maybe it was that it was a first date film for me...... Someday, I'm still gonna kill my former roommate for suggesting that one.

Dara Edmondson said...

I liked Pulp Fiction - and Crying Game (sorry, Macy). One for my hate list - The Hours - seemed like it lasted hours and hours and it was pure depression.

Lara Dien said...

Ever since "Christine," I refuse to watch Stephen King movies. "The Minus Man" convinced me never to watch Owen Wilson again if possible. Ben Stiller, Jack Nicholson, and Vince Vaughn. Jim Carrey doing comedy (I liked him in The Majestic). I tend to be actor-specific -- kind of like being author-specific. One bad experience will probably turn me off forever.

Katie Reus said...

I liked Pulp Fiction too Dara...(loved it actually) And, I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but I have a girl-crush on Scarlett so chances are I could probably forgive the movie if it was ridiculous ;) I'm w/ you though on American Beauty. After watching that I felt like I wasted a couple hours of my life.

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009