Tuesday, January 29, 2008

10 Things You'd Buy if You Had a Million Bucks

Barenaked Ladies are so going through my head right now...

The rules: Ten things you'd buy, no scholarships or altruism, completely self-centered. Ooooookay--since scholarships and college plans are my default in my "win the lottery" plan, this might be tough.
  1. 1959 Corvette Convertible, Admiral Blue. I love, love, love the look of these cars! It's a work of art, and it hauls butt. Great two-for-one, huh? $150K
  2. A sabbatical. Since health insurance and pharmacy benefits are so out of hand these days, replacing my salary and benefits will run about $100K.
  3. Home improvement. I love my house and my neighborhood, so I won't be buying a McMansion (I object to those on so many levels anyway). Interior/exterior painting, back porch pavilion/patio/deck and accoutrements, master bath redo, spa tub in middle bath, kitchen cabinet refinish/retrofit, selected antiques, window replacement, new irrigation, sod, landscaping, tree work. Since I like the best, $200K.
  4. Ancestry tour. Use that sabbatical time to visit all the countries of my decidedly mixed ancestry at a leisurely pace. Flights, ferries, and deluxe accommodations in Scotland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Austria, and the Azores Islands. With souvenirs, $200K.
  5. Wardrobe. After the personal trainer gets through with me, I'll need new clothes. Style and comfort, natural fibers. I won't go crazy with labels, but I will demand quality. $50K
  6. Home theater. Huge TV, a jillion speakers all through the house, central control, custom bookshelves, CDs of everything I've ever loved, DVDs out the wazoo. While I'm at it, make the house smart. $50K
  7. Geek me out: MacBook Pro 17" laptop, color laser printer, projector, Mac Pro wired to the gills (30" cinema display), the works. $15K
  8. A horse. A really nice horse, probably a Morgan/Arab cross. With tack and lessons, $35K
  9. A barn and acreage for the horse, plus feed and care. Around here, $100K.
  10. A house elf, aka a housekeeper and landscaping crew, with occasional visits from a chef and a professional organizer. $100K
That's it! Once you get going, it's easy to spend piles of vapor cash. Selfish enough for ya?

1 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I'm stealing this for next Tuesday. Thank you!! And I'm with you on the MacBook!

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009