Monday, May 15, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Seniors

The last page of my final exam is always a course evaluation. How can I improve unless I ask the kids, right? As usual, the course evaluations are always my favorite thing to read. They're always a mix of encouragement (This is the best English class I've ever had!) and full-on smackdown (You need to get better control of your class). Either way, they're great food for thought. This year's verdicts:
  • I'm patient. Maybe too patient. Perhaps throwing more referrals now and then would help.
  • They loved Othello. They hated Othello. Depends on the class. Surprise for me: they agreed that the play was better than the film (although the film, the Laurence Fishburne/Kenneth Branagh, is awesome).
  • They pretty much hated A Tale of Two Cities. Then again, first time teaching it. The first time out with any new work is usually a train wreck of sorts.
  • They appreciate having the work explained clearly.
  • One kid loves the bell on my desk I ring when they get an answer correct.
  • The quiet ones really crave one-on-one attention, which I need to work on giving more of next year.
  • "Challenging" varies from student to student. Some students say the class is challenging. Others don't, but they say it's because I explain everything well. So now I have to wonder if it's really too easy. Hmm. Something to think about.
  • Also something to think about: they like having opportunities to turn in late work, but they also think I'm too nice about accepting late work. That's a conundrum.
  • They do not like it when teachers are absent. They may cut loose when a sub is in the room, but they hate not having Mom around.
  • Surprise, surprise! Although they complained about the research paper being difficult and time-consuming, many of them also rated it the best thing we did in class because they do realize it will prepare them for future challenges. Interesting.
  • Opening bellwork is either a favorite ("I love having a chance to express myself") or a most-hated ("Most of them are the same, anyway."). Probably time to mix that up a bit and include other things besides meaningful quotes.
  • Deadlines. Big deal, deadlines. They like that I take late work, but I get the feeling I'm not hard enough on them as far as balancing the work out and requiring homework, etc.
  • Believe it or not, I had a couple of kids ask for more tests!
  • Favorite comment: "I'd give you an 8, which is good, because most English teachers only get a 5."
Just goes to show you...with kids, you never know. With seniors, you really never know.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009