Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Busted

Have you ever watched Mythbusters, that cool show on Discovery where the just-this-side-of-crazy science types try to prove/disprove some historical yarn or urban legend? Well, DS could join the cast today. The Easter Bunny myth has been busted.

Mr. Chirpy swoops in our room at 6:30 am yapping about "You know that basket that should be in the kitchen blah blah blah..." I realize he means the Easter basket that I didn't make last night before trying to get DD, aka Camille, into bed--CRAP!!

Perhaps, I think, he hasn't found the Target bags full of candy on the dining room table, and maybe I can sneak in after my shower, make up the basket, and play off that the Easter Bunny has left the basket in the dining room instead of on the kitchen table because we've eaten in there a lot lately.

No such luck. I emerge from the shower to find DS in full Perry Mason mode, holding out a bad of Easter M&Ms peanut and demanding to know just exactly why these M&Ms were on the table?

So drama major kicks in and tells him that the EB has planned something special for today (i.e. some friends hid a bunch of eggs in our side yard last night as a surprise) and that Mr. Bunny asked mama to make the basket. He asks, "How did he tell you?" And I say, "In my dreams, like he USUALLY does!"

Scary thing: He bought it!

I don't know whether he's especially trusting or I'm scarily good at lying to small children, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't go all Machiavelli at this point. The end justifies the means. I want to preserve that innocence as long as possible.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009