Thursday, October 16, 2008

Annual Dose of Crazy

So two years ago I decide to throw the biggest wrench in the world into my already packed schedule and do NaNoWriMo. Thirty days, fifty thousand words--one month to a complete first draft of a novel. Normally, I'm a save-it-up-behind-the-dam gal. I'll think and fidget and think and ponder and then finally sit down and blurt out whole chapters at a time. Those chapters tend to be relatively nicely written, so rewrites are actually fun and quickly productive.

But a novel in a month seemed challenging and maybe fun, so I tried it. Won, the first year (had to cough up over 10k on the last day of November), came close the second (9k to go, but didn't have the steam). So now I'm on the precipice. It's mid-October. Go for the crazy, or try to stay sane.

Bonus points for crazy: book written. Bonus points for sane: sanity. Not overrated if you're a mom, I must say. So, which should it be? I'd be way behind in the idea area this time. The first go-round, I'd been thinking about the story a lot beforehand. Last year, I had more to go on, but ran out of steam. This year, pretty much ground zero. Maybe a name or two, a paper-thin premise (think one sentence). A title. Think I should go for it?

3 comments:

Dara Edmondson said...

Hmm. There's a lot to be said for having most of a book written in one month. On the other hand, how do you carve that much time out of an already busy month? I'm skipping it this year and opting to edit a book (or two) in a month - much more manageable.

Keri Mikulski said...

I signed up too. :) Like the title.

Katie Reus said...

Hmmm, go for it ;)

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009