Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ten Movies You're Excited to See

Summer blockbuster season is upon us! Here are my top ten choices--one's I'd be willing to spend full price to see...although given the fact that teachers don't get paid between June and early September, I'll be spending plenty of time at the dollar movie theater instead...
  1. Iron Man. Saw it already. Worth the ticket. A must-buy on DVD when it comes out. This is how to do a superhero movie right, people!
  2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I've figured out at least one major plot point already, but there's something about the hat and the whip, even if Indy is getting creaky in the joints. Plus, Karen Allen! She's worth the cost of the ticket alone. We loves us some Marion Ravenwood.
  3. Kung Fu Panda. Jack Black is hilarious. Obnoxious, but hilarious.
  4. The Happening. I know, I know. M. Night Shyamalan is a one-twist pony, but his movies kind of burrow in there after repeated viewings (this from the woman who has watched Signs about fifty times. And you have Marky Mark as the hero. Looks fun.
  5. Get Smart. I LOVED this TV show when I was a kid. The idea of Steve Carell as Agent 86 alone is just about perfect. Even if it bombs, I'll bet it's fun. Now if they would just invent a real Cone of Silence I could use on my first period class...
  6. WALL•E. Even if this is a little like "Johnny Five cleans up the world and falls in love," I have faith the Pixar folks will work their usual magic.
  7. Hellboy II: The Golden Army. DH has become a comic book geek in his semi-old age, so we're all about the comic book adaptations. Guillermo del Toro's behind the camera, plus Ron Perlman as our hero-from-hell (that's a good thing!). Should be fun.
  8. The Dark Knight. Heath Ledger as the Joker, Christian Bale as the man in the bat suit. One plus one equals blockbuster.
  9. Mamma Mia! As someone who wore out the tape of "ABBA's Greatest Hits" she got from the Columbia Record and Tape Club O, these many moons ago, I kind of have to go. Plus, Meryl Streep lets loose in a comic role, and three good looking potential fathers to drool over. My, my. How can I resist you?
  10. Swing Vote. Political geek, I admit. What would happen if an unemployed single dad (Kevin Costner) who preferred fishing and beer to responsibility were the one person to decide a close presidential election--between Kelsey Grammer and Dennis Hopper, of all people? Makes you wonder how out of it we all are. Could be good fun.

1 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I posted mine, too!

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009