Wednesday, May 14, 2008

End of the Dawn Patrol

Last night, our local school board--in a cost-saving measure--voted to switch the school start times for middle and high schools. So instead of reporting at 7:10 am, we high school folks will now start at 9:30. This also means that Mr. Tuba, my soon-to-be middle schooler, will be waiting for a bus to deliver him to school at 7:30. Yep, in the dark part of the year.

I don't know which is worse, worrying whether he'll get on the bus on time in the morning if I'm not in the house, or worrying what to do with him in the afternoon after school's out. Yikes. At any rate, I'll be doing some heavy duty adjusting. I like getting up early. I like finishing my day earlier and being able to go to yoga class in the afternoon to de-stress. This will really be a switch.

3 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

Was there logic behind this decision?

Oh wait. Never mind. We're talking about schools in Florida.

Dara Edmondson said...

The decision was made based on the amount of money to be saved on switching the bus schedule and will allow the county not to cut more than $2 million out of other programs. Thanks to the (overwhelming) passage of a major tax cut by the short-sighted voters of this DUH state, education in general is taking such a huge hit that it will impact the state for years to come on such fronts as technology, police and fire services, care for the elderly and disabled. (Not that I have any strong opinions on the matter!)

Macy O'Neal said...

Our state is really short-sited in many ways. And could we get just one election right -- even a primary!!!!!

And, I know about the decision's purpose -- I just can't get over how the govt and people think the schools can function with all the other cuts they're making.

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009