Monday, February 11, 2008

Worst Romantic Movies?

I have to admit to several giggles when reading Kim Morgan's "Loathe, Actually"--a rundown of the 10 most disappointing, yet still beloved, "classic" romantic comedies. Now I'm not saying I haven't seen all of these (I have) or fallen for them (yep, cried buckets at several), or don't own (I taped, bought, or was given half this list), but Ms. Morgan made some valid points about some of them with which I concur. You'll have to read the whole article for all the reasons why these are Ms. Morgan's bottom ten, but here's my take on these titles:
  • Pretty Woman - Like nearly everyone in the world at the time, I really enjoyed this movie. Originally, this had a much darker ending, but Garry Marshall doesn't do drama, so there you go. But seriously--a tycoon falling in love with the prostitute? I think not. And that last line--"She rescues him right back"--is one of the worst in the history of screenplays.
  • The Way We Were - I'm sorry, there is no circumstance in which I can buy Barbra Streisand as a romantic lead. She pretty much ruined The Prince of Tides for me, too, and I adore that book.
  • Sleepless in Seattle - I liked this one, but I have to agree with Kim Morgan about the An Affair to Remember effect--that is not a universal female response. I've seen AATR, and I didn't cry at the end. Not one single drop, and I'm usually a drippy wuss-bag at the end of rom-coms.
  • You've Got Mail - Ms. Morgan forgot to mention that this is a modern adaptation of The Shop Around the Corner starring Margaret Sullavan and Jimmy Stewart. Some things should just be left alone, and in black and white.
  • Ghost - Cried my eyes out over this one (redemption themes usually get me), but I have to agree that the famous pottery scene was way over the top. If they can spoof it in a Naked Gun movie, it's probably a bit much. They should have taken the writing advice to kill that darling, and quick.
  • Love Story - Blech. Blech, blech, blech. Read the book, and it was blech, too. But it's adored, probably in the way The Bridges of Madison County and the entire Nicholas Sparks catalog are: it's heartbreaking (she dies), but a man wrote it, so it's romaaaaaaaantic. Puh-leeze.
  • While You Were Sleeping - I like this one. Probably because it's the first rom-com ever where Bill Pullman gets the girl. I'm a sucker for the underdog.
  • My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Like this one, too, as anyone with a seriously weird family can attest. Yes, it's clichéd, but did it occur to Ms. Morgan that it's supposed to be a farce? Does the word hyperbole mean anything to you?
  • Four Weddings and a Funeral - The best relationship in this one is Gareth and Matthew, and the most touching moment is the funeral. I kinda like Andie MacDowell--girl's got spunk, even if she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag--but her line reading of "Is it raining? I hadn't noticed." is one of the worst in the history of acting.
  • Dirty Dancing - Escapist fare for all of us who were the awkward girls at the school dance, but it's okay if you put Baby in the corner. She's kind of a brat.
I'd add a few others to the list. Which ones would you pick?

4 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I have to admit that while I saw most of those and they were fun back in the day, I wouldn't willing sit through any of them again. I had huge issues with Pretty Woman. (Seriously, the best the millionaire can do is a prostitute?) And Dirty Dancing. (Um, what exactly was their age difference?) And Ghost. (She's still alone at the end. And it was very campy.)

I've seen some sweet, fun romantic comedies over the last few years. I'll have to think of which ones I liked best. That would be a fun blog.

macy

Dara Edmondson said...

I loved Big Fat Greek Wedding, liked Ghost and guiltily still occasionally watch a few minutes of Dirty Dancing, I hate the rest of the movies on the list. I even hate Love Story's signature line - "Love means never having to say you're sorry." What a bunch of horsesh#$

Anonymous said...

After watching Ghost, I took four pottery classes trying to figure out how to work the spinning wheel. I failed all four times!

Anonymous said...

I love "While You Were Sleeping." So I'd remove it from the list and replace it with "The Wedding Planner." I have one word for you regarding that one: painful.

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009