Wednesday, December 21, 2005

In the Trenches

Never let it be said that mimi has a firm grasp on time and planning. I plan, but not very far ahead. Case in point: I'm still Christmas shopping.

The problem with most of my problems is that I am a Mozart. Let me explain. In college, one of my professors kicked off our Theater Appreciation course with a small book called The Creative Process, which contained numerous essays about wildly creative people (like Mozart, Edison, etc.) and how they managed what they did. When I read the chapter on Mozart, bells went off. Mozart would walk around composing for weeks and weeks--in his head--and only when he could "hear" the piece the way he thought it should go would he get pen and paper and transcribe his work.

That's kind of how I do things. I'm no Mozart, of course, but I also walk around thinking about stuff. The new book. Scenes. Dialogue. Lesson plans. Home decor. Tonight's dinner. Christmas lists. After I've pondered it long enough, it spills out in one great rush. Unfortunately for me, that's usually right on top of some deadline.

Like kids in their jammies on Christmas morning. Eek.

Guess I have to brave the Toys 'R' Us after all. And popping a few cards in the mail wouldn't be bad, either. I think some of my college friends think I died.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009