Thursday, May 26, 2005

SOUTHERN Idol

Okay, I got sucked in. A group of teachers at my school were addicted to American Idol, so every Tuesday and Wednesday we got the rundown about who was doing what, who got voted off, who should have been voted off, yada yada... Long story sort, I rooted for Bo. As usual, my jinx kicked in. I have a very bad habit of killing the hopes of the Cincinnati Reds, Gator football, and Tarheel basketball by watching big games--if I tune in, they choke. I watch Idol for the first time, and the guy I like (hey, anyone who'll sing the Allman Brothers for a cheesy pop competition, "Whipping Post," no less, deserves to win) gets taken out by the blonde.

Idol's such a phenomenon, though, I know a lot about it even if I've never watched it. I start thinking about the other winners and discover a really interesting pattern:
  • Season 1: Kelly Clarkson (TX) and Justin Guarini (PA--only finalist from north of the Mason-Dixon line)
  • Season 2: Ruben Studdard (AL) and Clay Aiken (NC)
  • Season 3: Fantasia Barrino (NC) and Diana DeGarmo (GA)
  • Season 4: Carrie Underwood (OK) and Bo Bice (AL)
Guess that means that Americans' idols are Southern. Take that, snotty Yankees.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009