Sunday, July 19, 2009

RWA National Recap

Whew! One more RWA National Conference in the rearview mirror. This was a networking year for me, so that meant fewer workshops to report on. Here are some highlights from some of the workshops I did attend:

Outwitting a Muse Who Just Won't Behave - If the girls in the basement (as Barbara Samuel O'Neal is likely to call them) or the squirrels (as I'm likely to call them) are misbehaving, try a vacation. Try an artist's date, listening to music, taking a vacation from writing, and reading in different genres from what you normally write. Eventually, your creative monkeys will be dying to get back to work.

The Serendipitous Spark - What thoughts bring you delicious feelings and joy? Listen to them. Read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink for an appreciation of instant recognition and how you can trust it. Self-care is vital to the creative process and enabling you to hear your inner voice.

You Say Tomato, I Say To-Motto - Determining the motto for your central characters can help you with other story elements like setting, behavior choices and actions, conflict, theme, and character growth. For example, what happens when Mr. Do the Right Thing meets Ms. Life's Short, Eat Dessert First? Distilling your character's motto will help you craft backstory and provide heft and believability to their decisions.

Beyond the Basics: Differences Between YA and Adult - If you're thinking of writing for adolescents, be sure you're asking the right questions. The main thing is to remember that teens are not adults, but don't underestimate them! They are very savvy readers and thinkers. If you think you want to write YA because "those kids today" need some straightenin', then the YA market is not for you (they won't buy what you're pushing). A surprising fact: the YA build for titles is slow, and the publishers expect that. The handout for this is excellent.

Our Favorite Flavors - This workshop compared similarities and differences between romantic suspense, historical, romantic comedy, and paranormal books. Unfortunately, it was cut short because we had to evacuate the building! Fortunately, they had a terrific handout that highlighted their major points.

Although I was pleased with the sessions I attended, the number I attended was down from previous years, partly because I was full-on networking, and partly because the workshop list didn't really blow my skirt up. Guess I need to put up or shut up...so I'll be submitting ideas of my own for next year's conference. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009