Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wrap It Up

mimi will not be changing her middle name to "Nostradamus" anytime soon. On January 1, I made the following predictions:
  1. Florida will not get hit by a major hurricane despite Apocalyptic reporting from The Weather Channel and nearly every Florida newscaster drawing breath. - Right on the money. Go me! Second career in meteorology!
  2. Hillary Clinton will win the Democratic nomination for President. - Um, nope.
  3. Mitt Romney will win the Republican nomination for President. - Um, nope again!
  4. Get used to saying "Madam President." - No, but we can get used to saying "Madam Secretary," which ain't too shabby.
  5. Britney Spears will do something stupid. Oh, wait a minute. That's not a prediction; that's a certainty! (Although girlfriend deserves a calm 2008!) - Girlfriend got herself a calmer 2008 and released some killer tracks. I'm glad to see her getting it together! Nobody deserves the kind of public breakdown she had to suffer through.
  6. Ratatouille will win the Oscar for Best Animated Film. - This one was truly a no-brainer.
  7. Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal will get engaged. - No, but still going strong.
  8. UCF will repeat as C-USA champs and win their bowl game this time. - (pause for hysterical laughter) Erm, no. The wheels totally fell off the Knights' wagon. Maybe next year!
  9. Celebrity obsession will be "so five minutes ago." - I wish, but no.
  10. They'll finally get the goods on Barry Bonds. - Still no, despite a fat head and obvious visual confirmation to the contrary. What is taking them so long??
Clearly, predictions are not my forte. So I won't be making any for 2009. Some stuff that did happen in 2008:
  • I won NaNoWriMo again!
  • I read the Dick Francis backlist. They were a chunk of an all-out reading orgy that included 90 new titles and 36 re-reads. That's a total of 126 books for the year, or an average of one book every three days.
  • I watched a bunch of movies. I didn't keep track of those.
  • I didn't keep track of my bank balance very well, either. You'd think all those courtesy pay charges I keep racking up at the credit union would have kept the entire American financial system afloat, but nooooooooooo. Something to work on.
  • Got to see the Canadians, though. That was fun!
  • Also went leaf-peeping in beautiful Western NC.
Basically, I can't complain. Chez mimi and its denizens are basically healthy, basically happy, still employed, and still together. All in all, that makes for a successful year.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009