Saturday, July 05, 2008

American Girlz

Today, Frack and I took my mom and a couple of her friends to Kit Kittredge, the first theatrical release of an American Girl movie. If you don't have a daughter in the tween range, you may not be aware of the marketing juggernaut that is the American Girl company. The American Girls are a series of dolls, each from a specific period of U.S. history. Each doll comes with historically accurate clothing and accessories, plus a book about her adventures. Each book has some historical information about the period in the back. As a history minor, I was totally geeked out over these and couldn't wait until Frack was old enough to have a doll.

Once Frack crossed the magic 8-year-old barrier, we looked at the catalogs. We studied the dolls. I was initially partial to Felicity, the doll from 1774 (must have been that pre-Bicentennial trip to Williamsburg, Monticello, etc.--thanks, Mama!), but I have to admit, Kit is most like me: curious, loves to write, loves the Cincinnati Reds. So when Frack picked Kit as her favorite, Santa and I got up close and personal. Kit arrived, and the rest is history.

We tucked ourselves into our seats after pawning the car to pay for popcorn and drinks, and let me tell you--it's sentimental, it's good-girls-win, it's American grit and spunk and how to survive the Great Depression by growing your own veggies and building a chicken coop in the back yard, and it's a ton of fun. Loved the costuming, loved the period music, loved the casting (Abigail Breslin works so well as Kit!). Total schmaltz, and I enjoyed every sappy second of it. Yay, Kit!

Of course, you have to wonder if this movie works so well because so many of us these days are worried about foreclosure and whether that sunny spot in the back yard would be good for veggies (my city's zoning nixes the poultry idea). Either way, it's worth a look. Drag along your daughter, or maybe just yourself. It's fun to remember what it's like to be an American girl.

2 comments:

Macy O'Neal said...

I might just have to go -- by myself. The DD is way too old for that now. However, I'm game -- especially after the family movie night we just had. I'll never let teenagers pick out the movie again. (Check my blog for details.)

(I'm pretty bummed I missed the major fuss over American Girls, but the DD did read alot of the books back when.)

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of AG - they have historical books and also books to help girls cope with growing up. My 10 year old daughter wrote her own review of the movie on our blog:

http://www.emilycompanies.com/americandollclothes/2008/07/02/emilys-film-review-kit-kettredge-an-american-girl/

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009