Monday, June 16, 2008

Operation Adult Bedroom

It's not what you think.

DH and I are taking advantage of the fact that both kids are at camp for the next four days to launch Operation Adult Bedroom. And no, it doesn't mean that we're installing a trapeze or a mirrored ceiling. Although...

Seriously though, if your bedroom in your house with young children is anything like mine, amidst all the adult trappings are an avalanche of books and toys suitable for the under-teen set. Like Barbara Kingsolver sharing my bedside table with Judy Moody, or stepping on those infernal Airsoft gun BB's in the middle of the night. Or realizing that yet again, my towel is missing because the kids decided to take a shower in our standup shower instead of in their own perfectly clean bathroom. *sigh*

Operation Adult Bedroom means that we clear out the kids' junk, repaint the walls, rearrange the furniture a little, sew some, fluff, and then put up the CAUTION tape. I love my children and I'm enjoying them while they are still young enough to think I help spin the world (in previews of coming attractions, Frick is morphing into surly, grunting teenage boy, while Frack is getting way ahead of herself with the "Mama, you're embarrassing me!" when we're out in public). I love that they like to hang out on my bed and read, or talk, but sometimes, I'd like some sleep--or perhaps other activities--with the reason I have children in the first place.

So off we go to Lowe's today to buy paint for the bathroom that never got completed when we moved in, paint for the armoire (can't keep it the same color we're making the walls), new knobs and hardware for the armoire, closet organizers, and etc. And then we help DH's mom hang pictures all afternoon, so no real work today, alas. But tomorrow, we're making the HGTV folks proud. I swear. Right after we finish watching this movie from Netflix...

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009