Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back to the Salt Mines

Okay, fun's over. Time to write.

Seriously, though, I took the month of December off to rest after NaNoWriMo. Now that the New Year is upon us, it's time to pull out The Five Step Plan and see whether it can be revised into a salable manuscript.

I emailed Paige after the win and told her I had three options:
  • Spell check and do a quick revise on the whole mess, and send it to her raw for a scan to see if this idea is worth saving in the first place.
  • Write up a blurb and send that first.
  • Complete a proposal and send that.
Of course, she chose option 3, so now I have a synopsis to write and some major surgery to do on the manuscript pages. I managed to kick out just over 50k during NaNo, so that means I need another 50k for a full-length ms. Since right now most of the book is puppet characters talking in front of a green screen, that means plenty of sensory detail. Plus fixing all the "Oh, yeah, that's not gonna work" concerns that popped up during the initial writing frenzy.

This will be a completely different style of revision for me. Usually, I have whole chapters that need tweaking and moving, not a glob of book that needs to be dealt with as a whole in addition to the usual tweaking and moving. But if the process works, it could be the process I need to become a productive author.

Time to crank up the laser. Thank God I have all that scrap paper to burn. This could get ugly.

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009