Saturday, November 08, 2008

NaNoWriMo Update #1

Things going fairly well this NaNo season, if not for the ennui and the self-sabotage and whatnot. I am about a thousand words ahead of where I was a couple of years ago. Which is okay, but not great. I'd really rather not have to write so much at the very end in order to win. Unfortunately, I managed to kill the stats from last year's attempt, so I have no idea where I am in relation to a year ago.

But no matter. Things are progressing. I'm exploring more--which I guess you have to do when you start with only a couple of characters and a vague idea of what might happen--so I have some snippets of POV from some other characters hanging out in a file. They might get inserted (or not).

Big surprise for this year: third person. I've been so immersed in the first person voice for the past three mss I've written, it was weird to have a bunch of "she saids" pop out. I have opening paragraphs written in both perspectives, so maybe after the mayhem stops I'll send both to Dream Agent and see what she thinks.

For now, though, bedtime. It's hard to write with the eyelids at half-mast and the head jerking thing going on.

1 comments:

Dara Edmondson said...

Good luck with NaNo. I like stepping out of my comfort zone - writing in a different POV. Always good to keep exercising the writing muscles;-)

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009