Saturday, November 11, 2006

Barbara Samuel, GODDESS

Lucky me, I got to spend today in a voice workshop with the marvelous Barbara Samuel. Barbara, who collects RITAs the way most of us collect parking ticktes, is amazing, plus gracious and fun and very, very helpful.

Some things I discovered:
  • I really, really like writing in first person. Guess my natural voice is chatty and straight from the horse's mouth.
  • Focusing on the South is the right thing to do. I wrote one passage and was invited to share with the group, and midway through, I start bawling. Embarrassing beyond belief, but truthful.
  • Sometimes, you can't see yourself because you're in your own way. Get out the thinking, then hand it over to a trusted friend to make sense of it. They can cut through the crap in two seconds.
  • It's good to get away from home and be around writer types for the day. Reminds me that yes, I do have a creative self, and yes, she needs to be nurtured more regularly.
Now if I would just put my butt in the chair and STAY there!

0 comments:

 

the dish Design by Insight © 2009